CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Beggars can be choosers!

I went to Wendy's for lunch today.

As I was leaving (mind you I am driving an old min-van with my windows rolled up) this guy came and approached my van. I had to stop due to traffic, and he tapped on my window. I tried to ignore him, having seen him use this same aggressive approach with the previous vehicle. I cracked my window.....

"Ma'am, (I hate that) do you have an extra sandwich I can I have, I'm starving!"

"Seriously?" I asked him.

I shook my head no, considering the only thing I had gotten was some chili and fries. I rolled up my window and was looking at inching my way into traffic. This guy kicked my van and hit my window! I couldn't believe it.

Luckily there was a police officer that witnessed this incident and came over. Hopefully he'll get his free meal in jail today, if they keep him.

I get irritated with people begging. The country we live in is a generous one. There are plenty of places to go to get help, people just won't do it. I know it hurts the ego a little, but sometimes in order to give charitably we need to also be able to receive charity. I think also people don't go, because the are afraid they might get help out what ever situation they are in, and generally people like this guy are afraid of honest day-to-day living.

I really dislike the term hand outs. I like term hand up. Being a single mom and a starving student, I know what it's like to feel and be desolate. There was a time in my youth, where I lived on the streets, but it was my choice; I had other options, but I didn't want them.

I am so appreciative to the state organizations, non-profit institutions, parents, family, and friends that taught me how I can be self-supporting on my own. I still struggle, but I am proud that I know can afford to stop by Wendy's for a meal now and then.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, Teach a man to fish and he eats all year.

4 comments:

Heidi said...

I agree! So, consider yourself tagged for either tag I have posted--you can choose, or do both! Can't wait to read what you have so say.

Myrna said...

Kelli, you are so wise. I am proud of you. Je t'aime ma fille.

Nancy said...

Wow, that's kind of creepy! But it's true that it is better to teach a man to fish. :)

Aquaspce said...

Truth be told, I would have given him a sandwich. It's not like he asked for money. And yes, there are tons of institutions for him to go to, however, everyone needs a helping hand once in awhile.

"god gave us two hands, one to help ourselves, the other, to help others."
Audrey Hepburn