CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, March 6, 2009

Friday Fumes and Feelings

So I was looking forward towards a birthday celebration with Andrew and Christina, however when planning these types of events between households, sometimes I don't get what I want.

I suppose I have grown some, because as much as I started out this post to vent on how selfish and other words I can use to describe my ex-husband, I no longer have the desire. I am so very thankful he is an ex, and he is so for good reasons.

Jonathan and I have been taking classes for a month now on Step-families, or Bi-Nuclear families every Thursday night. Last night was my favorite discussion. It was on strengthening our relationship. So many times when we have children, we forget about our significant other. We discussed the value of communicating exactly what we need, verses letting our spouses guess. How many times do we think, "If he'd only ......., then I'd know he really understands me." Have we told him? If we don't vocalize what our expectations are then we are only setting our spouse up to disappoint us.

4 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I think this class is such a great idea!!

Heidi said...

Good for you, Kelline! It must be so hard but you are handling it so well!

Anonymous said...

How very true! What wise thoughts, especially in this day and age when families are being thrown in the midst of Satan's war. We need to remember to focus on ALL aspects of the family, including, and most importantly(after the Savior) our spouses.

Rebecca Blevins said...

Ah! I started to write this comment yesterday, and something happened. Well, I am back.

It took a while for me to learn that. I used to think, in the early days of marriage that he should just know what I needed. Thankfully he convinced me that the only way I was going to get the outcome I wanted was to ask without whining or nagging. Tough lesson to learn, but nine years later I'm glad I did!